Boulton-Paul P.64 Mail-Carrier
|MAILPLANE||Virtual Aircraft Museum / United Kingdom / Boulton-Paul|
In 1933 Boulton & Paul built a twin-engine all-metal biplane under a contract awarded by Imperial Airways. The airline had a requirement for a mailplane capable of carrying a 454kg payload over a 1609km range at reasonable speed, and the company considered its Boulton & Paul P.64 Mailplane to be the answer. Unfortunately it was both expensive and unsatisfactory. First flown at the company's airfield at Mousehold, Norwich, in March 1933, it lasted barely seven months before being destroyed in an unexplained fatal crash during trials at Martlesham Heath in October.