Following a request from Australia for a larger replacement to the DH 50 (q.v.) the DH 61 was designed, built, and flown within 10 weeks. The first flight of this 500 hp Bristol Jupiter XI engined aeroplane took place in December 1927. The prototype was, after initial trials, was dismantled and sent to De Havilland Australia where it was reassembled and used by MacRobertson Miller Aviation between Adelaide and Broken Hill. In all 10 eight seat Giant Moths were built, the last possibly to survive crashed in New Guinea in 1938.