Port Victoria P.V.4
1917
Back to the Virtual Aircraft Museum
  FIGHTERVirtual Aircraft Museum / United Kingdom / Port Victoria  

Port Victoria P.V.4

Early in 1916, the Marine Experimental Aircraft Depot initiated the design of a land-based two-seat fighter, the P. V.3. Although this was never built, the Depot was officially requested to develop a float seaplane version carrying radio equipment and a single 7.7mm machine gun. This, the P.V.4, was a small and compact sesquiplane with a central nacelle for the two crew members and a pusher engine, and the tail assembly carried by four slim booms. The gunner occupied the forward cockpit, which was equipped with a Scarff ring for the gun. The intention was to fit the P.V.4 with a 150hp Smith "Static" radial engine but, as this was unavailable, a 110hp Clerget rotary was installed for flight testing in mid-1917. This created CG problems, resolution of which would have involved considerable redesign, and, as the P.V.4 was considered to possess insufficient promise to warrant this work, development was discontinued.


Specification 
 DIMENSIONS
    Wingspan9.75 m32 ft 0 in
    Wing area20.44 m2220.01 sq ft
 PERFORMANCE
    Max. speed130 km/h81 mph

Do you have any comments about this aircraft ?

Name    E-mail


All the World's Rotorcraft

All rhe World's Rotorcraft AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com