Although possessing a superficial resemblance to the F.B.7, the F.B.8, designed in the autumn of 1915 by Rex K Pierson, was a very much smaller, lightly-armed two-seat fighter carrying only a single 7.7mm Lewis gun as armament. Powered by two 100hp Gnome Monosoupape rotaries, the F.B.8 began flight testing in November 1915, and performance proved to be good. The gunner was accommodated in the extreme nose and the pilot was seated beneath the trailing edge of the upper wing. From the outset, it was obvious that the armament carried by the F.B.8 could equally well be accommodated by a smaller, single-engined aircraft, but it had been hoped that an appreciably higher performance could be obtained by doubling the power available. Insufficient attention had been paid to the drag of such an aircraft, however, and performance proved lower than had been anticipated. Furthermore, the aircraft was insufficiently manoeuvrable for fighting duties and was discontinued.
|A three-view drawing (1280 x 900)|
| Take-off weight||1225 kg||2701 lb|
| Empty weight||835 kg||1841 lb|
| Wingspan||11.68 m||38 ft 4 in|
| Length||8.58 m||28 ft 2 in|
| Height||3.00 m||10 ft 10 in|
| Wing area||43.48 m2||468.01 sq ft|
| Max. speed||158 km/h||98 mph|
| Ceiling||4270 m||14000 ft|
Do you have any comments about this aircraft ?