|SPORTS, TOURING||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / Caudron|
The prototype Caudron C.230 made its maiden flight in November 1930 piloted by Raymond Delmotte. Designed by Paul Deville, it was a two-seat light biplane with equal-span unstag-gered single-bay wings. The upper wing centre-section was braced to the fuselage by four short vertical steel-tube struts; the outer panels, which could be folded, had a pair of vertical spruce inter-plane struts on each side. Ailerons were fitted on the lower wing only. The wooden fuselage structure was fabric-covered, and the cantilever tailplane had a wood frame and was plywood-covered. Each main unit of the wide-track fixed landing gear incorporated a vertical compression leg.
The C.230 was powered by a 71kW Salmson radial engine and enjoyed some success in the French market for light touring and sports aircraft. Production totalled 15, to be followed by a number of variants. The C.230 series took part in practically every sporting aircraft rally or contest in France from 1931 onwards and the type appeared frequently elsewhere in Western Europe.
Caudron C.232: a total of 50 of this version was built; it was powered by a Renault 4Pb inline engine in place of the Salmson radial of the same horsepower; the fuselage had plywood covering
Caudron C.232/2: three built; same as C.232 but with wheel brakes
Caudron C.232/4: seven completed: identical to C.232/2 except improved equipment
Caudron C.233: single prototype to take unsuccessful Michel AM-16 engine; later fitted with Salmson engine, thus becoming a C.230
Caudron C.235: one airframe fitted with a German Argus As 8R 75kW inline for French Air Ministry tests of this engine