Dewoitine D 9
|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / Dewoitine|
Flown in June 1924, the D 9 was derived from the D 1 for participation in the 1923 C1 programme and was powered by a 420hp Gnome-Rhone 9Ab (Jupiter IV) nine-cylinder radial engine. Early in the flight test programme, the standard D 1 wing was supplanted by a new wing of 2.5m2 greater area, and a six-month delay in the commencement of evaluation of the contenders in the 1923 C1 programme provided Dewoitine with the opportunity to increase wing area by yet a further 2.5m2. Armament consisted of two fuselage-mounted 7.7mm Vickers guns and two Darne modele 19 guns of 7.5mm calibre mounted on the wing centre section. The D 9, placed sixth among the contenders, was destroyed on 15 October 1925. Nonetheless, it emulated the export success of the D 1. Licence-built in Italy by Ansaldo as the A.C.3, the D 9 was supplied to Yugoslavia (six) and Belgium (one) in 1925, and the components of three others were delivered in 1927 to the EKW (Eidg. Konstruktions-Werkstatte) in Switzerland for assembly, with delivery to the Fliegertruppe in 1928.