When, in 1931, economic circumstances dictated amalgamation
of the Albatros Flugzeugwerke with the
Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau, flight testing had just commenced
of a new tandem two-seat fighter, the L.84
powered by a 660hp BMW VIu 7.3Z water-cooled 12-
cylinder Vee-type engine. A single-bay biplane with
V-type interplane struts, the L.84 had plywood-covered
wooden wings and a welded steel-tube fuselage
primarily fabric covered. Armament consisted of two
fixed forward-firing 7.9mm machine guns and a similar
weapon on an aft ring mounting. The first prototype
was destroyed during flight testing, but a second prototype
was completed by Focke-Wulf and flown in
February 1933, this being referred to as the L.84C and
featuring a revised cooling system. Twelve L.84
fighters were ordered from Focke-Wulf by the Reichswehr,
but, in the event, only three were completed, the
remainder being cancelled. One was used under the
designation L.84E to evaluate the Rolls-Royce Kestrel
HIS engine, and another, fitted with a fuel-injection version of the BMW VIu engine, was known as the L.84F.
At least one L 84 was supplied to China.
|A three-view drawing (1630 x 1177)|
| Take-off weight||2150 kg||4740 lb|
Do you have any comments about this aircraft ?