Dornier Delphin
1920
Back to the Virtual Aircraft Museum
  PASSENGER FLYING BOATVirtual Aircraft Museum / Germany / Dornier  

Dornier Delphin

In 1920 Dornier produced the first Delphin commercial flying-boat. It was based upon substantially the same design as the Libelle, from which it differed with regard to the higher form of the fuselage, the enclosed cabin for five or six passengers, and the engine. The first versions, the L.1 and L.1a, were each produced with a high open pilot's cockpit aft of the 138kW BMW IlIa or 134kW BMW III engine, but the later L.2 and L.3 versions had seating for two in front of the passenger cabin, separated by a bulkhead. Power for these versions was provided by a 186.3kW BMW IV or 194kW Rolls-Royce Falcon III and a 447kW BMW VI engine respectively. The Delphin L.2 accommodated up to seven passengers (one next to pilot). The L.3 could carry up to 13 and was built in Switzerland by the Aktiengesellschaft fur Dornier-Flugzeuge at Altenrhein for over inland water and coastal services.

Dornier Delphin


Specification 
 CREW1
 PASSENGERS5
 ENGINE1 x BMW IIIa, 136kW
 WEIGHTS
    Take-off weight2200 kg4850 lb
    Empty weight600 kg1323 lb
 DIMENSIONS
    Wingspan17.0 m56 ft 9 in
    Length11.5 m38 ft 9 in
    Height3.1 m10 ft 2 in
    Wing area50.0 m2538.20 sq ft
 PERFORMANCE
    Max. speed150 km/h93 mph
    Cruise speed125 km/h78 mph
    Ceiling4000 m13100 ft
    Range w/max.fuel380 km236 miles

Comments
lucy, 18.06.2011

Dockyard Co. of Kobe Japan.
The 3rd and 4th models were built at Marina da Pisi in Italy, the first of these useing an Isotta Fraschini A10. The second which was the first Delphin II was powered by a Rolls Royce Falcon engine.

, 18.06.2011

Dornier Delphin

Barry, 11.01.2010

Eight aircraft were built, Werk Nos. 21,25,26,27,28,42,43 and44. The first of these (21)registered A-6055 was built at Seemoos and Rohrbach as a CsII after modification with a longer bow it was named a Delphin I and sold to the United States Navy. The second aircraft (25) was flown with a Rolls Royce Falcon engine and was sold to The Kawasaki Dockyard Co. of Kobe Japan.
The 3rd and 4th models were built at Marina da Pisi in Italy, the first of these useing an Isotta Fraschini A10. The second which was the first Delphin II was powered by a Rolls Royce Falcon engine.
With all other models being built in 1922 and 1923, one (28)D-401 crashed,(43) was sold to the British Air Ministry in 1925, (44)D-702 crashed at Lindau 5/6/1929 and (42) D-277 finished it's days flying for L.V.Gmbh at Lindau where it was withdrawn from use at the end of 1932.

Do you have any comments about this aircraft ?

Name    E-mail


COMPANY
PROFILE



All the World's Rotorcraft


Virtual Aircraft Museum


All rhe World's Rotorcraft AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com