|PASSENGER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / Holland / Fokker|
Designed to meet a KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines) requirement for a larger aircraft than the F.VII single-engined series, the Fokker F.VIII flew in prototype form on 12 March 1927. While of similar general layout to its predecessors, the new aircraft had a wider fuselage capable of carrying 15 passengers and a crew of two. The nose contained a hinged baggage compartment, and the two 358kW Gnome-Rhone Jupiter VI engines were slung beneath the wings.
The prototype and six production F.VIIIs were delivered to KLM in 1927-28; another was delivered to the Hungarian airline MALERT in 1928, and Manfred Weiss in Budapest built two more for MALERT under licence.
The KLM aircraft were subsequently re-engined, various aircraft being powered by 515kW Wright R-1820 Cyclone or 373kW Pratt '& Whitney Wasp engines.
The only F.VIII to see service in military markings was the last Dutch production aircraft, sold by KLM to British Airways in 1936. It went to Sweden in 1939, and was subsequently donated to the Finnish air force, with whom it served in the Continuation War from 1941.