Douglas B-66 Destroyer

Douglas B-23 Dragon

17.09.2014 15:20

Sikorsky S-43 / JRS

17.09.2014 04:47

McDonnell F-101 Voodoo

16.09.2014 23:30

Nakajima Ki-43 "Hayabusa" / "OSCAR"

16.09.2014 15:39

Bristol 105 Bulldog

12.09.2014 23:56

Boisavia B.80 Chablis

12.09.2014 14:14

Fokker F.27 Friendship

don gilliard, e-mail, 20.08.2014 19:40

I was looking at the old eb66 .I was stationed at Takhli.worked test cell on the J71.went to school at shaw befor i went over.my memory is a little off that long ago.can anyone help me out on the location of things on base?

William R. "Tex" Summers, e-mail, 22.06.2014 03:27

RB-66B Aircraft Mechanic Shaw AFB 4415th CCTS 1957-1960 Flew many missions as flight engineer in gunner's seat ($55 bucks monthly flight pay). Some of my squadron's planes came back from the '58 Lebanon flap with rifle bullet holes in them. One of our birds went down in the Atlantic near Bermuda on the way over. Pilot and Navigator were picked up by a fishing boat. Sadly the gunner was never found. I was
A/2c Crew Chief of TWO 66's last months of my 4-year enlistment. Frozen career field ??? I thought the 66's were fazing out then but now learn they cruised on a while longer. I didn't. Line Chief was sergeant Zane Allen. Tessaro, Jenschke, West, Knapp, Young, any of you pushing 80 guys still around? Did you stop telling folks you flew the "heavies" because no one ever heard of a B-66? Glad to find this nice '66 site. Tex

jim murphy 60/13/14, e-mail, 13.06.2014 23:57

I was an assist c/c with the 9th trs 1958 to 1962 t/sg shire
was the flight chief ,I think M/sgt Madigon was the line chief. I went tdy to England, mendenhall or Chelveston I've been to both. S/sgt francis was my c/c the best I can remember. I stayed out for 15 years and Mc entire ang in
columbia sc >I met a SC girl at Carolina skating rink got married and settled down ( 55 years now) I've been around the world 2 weeks at a time 6 mo i saudia for 6 mo.80
1 8o3 408 1432

jim murphy 60/13/14, e-mail, 13.06.2014 23:57

I was an assist c/c with the 9th trs 1958 to 1962 t/sg shire
1 8o3 408 1432

Jerry Forbes, e-mail, 27.04.2014 06:12

Stationed at Shaw AFB, SC in 1956 as a Gunner. Transferred to Spangdalhem AFB, Germany from 1958 to 1962 with the B-66, but was grounded due to loss of hearing. The J-71's were really loud and high pitched. I loved every minute I flew in the aircraft.

bruce clark, e-mail, 25.04.2014 17:55

I was stationed at RAF station sculthorpe with three squadrons of B66B and one squadron of KB50J tankers as an avionics instrument tech. in 1958 thru 1962 then transferred to Shaw AFB to work on the rb/ecmb66b

Britt Brown, e-mail, 25.02.2014 22:17

My uncle was the test pilot for Douglas and flew every single one that was produced.

George Daigneault, e-mail, 17.02.2014 06:57

My first assignment was at Toul Rosiers , France.I was a jet engine mechanic on this bird.I was their from 64 to 66 until the French kicked us out. I left their for assignment to Tan Son Nhut A.F.B. in Viet Nam. We were in the process of converting over to RF4C. I was their when we lost one of our aircraft over East Germany. I was also their when we held an air show for the locals.It was hard work keeping them flying. They would use up the whole runway for take off. As an engine man I think they were way under powered.

Farley Wayne Stallard, e-mail, 28.01.2014 04:47

Worked on the radar rb-66 1957-1960 10th A&E in Spangdahlem and then in Alconbury England. First thing in Germany was, "we are getting a new bird and want you to build a radar mock-up". Ok what's a mock up? Hell I don't know. Here is a book and have it built before we get the bird. Thanks, 1st Lt. I learned real fast what a radar mock up was. I never wanted to wire up another mock up but that bird had 2 radar systems. I got the hardware and plugged everything in and now for the smoke test. 1st Lt. would you like the honors? Hell no, airman you turn it on. Turned it on and no smoke but the florescent light bulbs were acting kinda funny when the antenna came around. Hell I was transmitting inside the shop. Next thing the Lt. wanted was an operation manual. He said he wanted it so the operators (officers) could use it to operate the system and if he had to ask a question I would have to rewrite it and start all over. After 27 rewrites he could got through it without asking any questions. I guess I wrote the first book of "How to operate the radar systems in the rb-66 for dummies". Never had to work on the flight line. The shop was always warm in the winter and cool in the summers.

Ray Ismail, e-mail, 29.11.2013 18:10

I was stationed at Spangdahlem in the 1st TRS from 54 to 58 and was an instrument specialist on the Rb26,T33,Rb57A/B,and RB 66. Loved working on the 66 the most.

H. Mike "Willie" Williams, e-mail, 11.11.2013 23:35

I was a Crew Chief on EB-66-E tail # 54-546 from 69 to Oct of 72 at Shaw AFB in South Carolina. Was sent TDY to Korat RTAFB twice for a few months each in 71 and 72. I was on flying status all of those years and have great memories of cross country weekend flights back to Calif. to visit my girl friend. The times I spent at Korat RTAFB were special memories. We took aircraft over to Korat and brought back those needing special maint. I remember once having landed at Hickam Field being hand cuffed to the lt. main gear in Hawaii when the dogs found hash under the flooring of the crawl way. That unit always had a bad smell. The dogs went crazy when they got to it. The entire space was packed with it, it looked like it had been there for years(so rotten).The air police didn't know what to do with us, we were questioned for hours. When I offered a solution to their problem -that who ever put it in there must have intended to transfer back to Shaw to retrieve it, and apparently did not. They asked if I was going to Shaw... I said "we're all going to Shaw", I became the focus of the "investigation" if you can call it that. They finally confiscated the dope and let us go.
I remember those years and the great people I worked with like they were yesterday. If Sgt's. D'Anella,Gary Moser, Beecher,Bowen ,Gabbota ,or Somers should read this, we at guard1234@hotmail.com I hope you and your families are all well, you have to be really old farts by now.

Richard Bogan, e-mail, 09.11.2013 16:34

I was a jet engine mechanic at RAF Alconbury 1962 1964. Worked my tail off keeping them flying. Good memories

FREDERICK STEVENS, e-mail, 16.08.2013 06:45

I WAS A DRAFTSMAN IN THE STRUCTURE DESIGN GROUP, AT DOUGLAS, FROM 1952 TILL 1959. WAS LAID OFF AND RETURNED TO LONG BEACH IN 1965. STAYED THERE UNTILL I RETIRED IN 1994.
WORKED ON ALL OF THE "66"SERIES A/C. WAS INCHARGE OF REPAIRS OF THE ONE AT "EDDIE" WHEN THAT SHOT IN THE MOVIE "TOWARDS THE UNKNOWN" WAS MADE. IT WAS A "PULLBACK" SHOT LOOKING THRU THE ENGINE NOSE CONE.
AS THEY WERE PULLING BACK THEY BUMPED INTO A DRIP CAN WE HAD HANGING ON THE HYDRAULIC HOSE THAT WAS DISCONNECTED.
SPILLED RED "SKYDRAUL" ALOVER A WHITE JACKET THE CAMERAMAN WAS WEARING. MAN WAS HE MAD.
HAD A GREAT TIME WORKING FOR DOUGLAS ON THE RB66A.RB66B,B66B.C133A, C133B,DC8,ALL OF THE DIFERENT DC9's AND THE C17. I ALSO DID A COUPLE OF JOBS ON THE C124 AND C74.
I MANAGED TO GET A RIDE IN A B66 WITH "PEANUTS" WHILE HE WAS ONE TO THE TEST PILOTS. GOT MY "MACH BOUSTER" ON THAT ONE.
BY THE WAY. THE ONE YOUR DAD WORKED ON THAT WAS SO "HUSH HUSH" COULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE THAT THEY INSTALLED "LEAD CURTONS IN THE COCKPIT" TO PROTEST THE CREW FROM RADIATION WHEN THE FLEW THROUGH A ATOMIC BOMB CLOWED OUT IN THE "MARSHALL ISLAND ATOMIC TESTS".
IT WAS A GREAT 36 YEARS.
I THINK I KNEW MARK BORGATTA'S DAD.

Hans van Meerloo, e-mail, 01.07.2013 22:59

On the 6.6.66 one of the Chambleys' B-66 made a visit to Leeuwarden AB in the Netherlands. Then a F-104G fighterfield. Was it just a coincidence or was it some kind of farewell visit?
We had here,as far as I can remember, once in 1964 an emergency landing (birdhit)of another B-66.
Is there anybody who can provide some more info?
Thank you anyway.

cole fleming, e-mail, 14.06.2013 15:42

Tony. As a crew chief at Shaw Air Force Base I had several opportunities a flight with your father a a crew chief I got fly with your father on several test flights what a great pilot the man could fly b66 blindfolded great man. Yes he was Mr b66.
What a great man a very glad to have met him and fly with him

richard thompson, e-mail, 13.05.2013 23:47

stationed at shaw in the mid 60s. our group, 4411fms, had the honor of towing a b-66 from shaw to sumter county tech school. towed it in one day right down the main highway. took all day. went back next day and mounted on concrete. still have picture of going through the town with a b-66. made quite a show.

Bart, e-mail, 04.03.2013 15:00

Was in Spangdahlem working on B-66's when I witnessed Raz and Stevens in the shower together. Always kept that secret till now.

Richard Clark, e-mail, 20.02.2013 23:01

I was Airman 1st class assigned to work on k5 Radar system from june 56 to June58 got to go on flights when it requird a K5 tech to isolate in flight Problems.Also met aircraft after return fligts along with crew chief who would meet with Pilot and I with navagater verify with any problems if any. This did end up being a problem as my hearing was effected. As the planes taxed in they would be scraeming and I would have to remove my ear plugs so I could hear the Navigator.I look back at the diferent operations ,operating out of Doolitles old runway,then to Spangdolem germany,and last to Yakota Japan as great memories. The best was the peaple that I will always remember such as my Boss Master Sargent Koons.

mike luberto, e-mail, 05.02.2013 03:53

Stationed at Shaw AFB 1971 B-66 crew chief, flew in one to Karot AFB.Many overnight stops including Biele AFB, Hawaii, Guam,Philippines. One year tour in Thailand supporting the Vietnam campaign. Witness Downed B66 and colonel Hamiltons commanders call testamony that led to the movie Bat*21 with Gene Hackman and Danny Glover. Finished 1976 as a flight engineer.Really had a great time with some lost of hearing.Would like to hear from some old buddy's stationed at Korat during that time.

Gerald Brown, e-mail, 01.02.2013 03:21

Correcting my e-mail address

Gerald Brown, e-mail, 01.02.2013 03:19

Known as Charlie Brown, I was an aircraft electrician on all the B-66's, Rf-101's and the RF-4C's while at Shaw AFB SC 1957 to late 1959 and then again late 1960 to Dec 1965,then transfered to Eielson AFB, Alaska. I loved those screaming 66's and the Rf-101's Spent many hours at the engine test cell and on the pads helping trim those J-57 engines in. Went on many TDY's with them to. Takhli is one of the TDY's I never will forget In 1965. From B-66 I went to the B-52G outfit in Loring Maine and then PCS to Utapao Thailand and then worked on the Oldie B-52's. Retrained into Satelite Tracking. Went to Vandenburg Tracking station for my last 5 years. Living in Manning SC. I still love the B-66. Charlie Brown.

cole fleming, e-mail, 18.12.2012 03:49

I was stationed at shaw AFB from 1966-1970. I was crew chief on 54-419 good aircraft. Was with 19 TRS and 4417 at shaw. went to Osan/south korea in 1968 when uss pebleo was capsured.itgot to cold to operate there so we went south to itazuki japan. I crew chief 54-510 there we went to kadena AFB okinawa .we had 6 eb66e"s there.went back to shaw summer of1969. worked night shift as line chief till june 1970 the B66 was agood plane hated those screaming engines.

Randy Ventress, e-mail, 13.12.2012 15:57

I "cut my teeth" on the RB-66's at Shaw A.F.B. from October 1968 until mid-1970. I then went to Takhli and spent as short amount of time before we moved the Squadron to Korat. We lost a plan at Takhli on approach and one on takeoff at Korat. Most of my memories are hazy from back then, but I know I enjoyed wrenching the airplane. Would like to hear from any body at these bases when I was there.

Richard Lloyd, e-mail, 01.12.2012 21:28

I worked on the B-66's at Shaw AFB, 363rd CAM squadron from 61 to 65. I was a jet engine mechanic and enjoyed the J71 engines. They were the fun times with all the good guys I worked with.

Lauren Eastwood, e-mail, 01.12.2012 16:13

I worked on the RB-66's at Korat in 1971. Was assigned to the 388th TFW Hydraulic shop on a TDY from 3rd TFW at Kunson, Korea for 179 day's.

Lauren Eastwood, e-mail, 01.12.2012 16:12

Mark Borgatta, e-mail, 25.08.2012 19:11

My dad worked for Douglas Aircraft for 37 years. I was 7 years old when my dad brought home a beatiful picture of the RB66. He worked on the RB66 at Edwards AFB when they were preparing it for classified tests in the pacific. Not much I know about it because it was all classified information and my dad couldn't talk about it. My dad and I both loved that airplane. While my dad was at Edwards AFB they were filming one of the scene's in the
movie "Towards The Unknown" in the same hanger that the RB66 was in. There's a great shot of the RB66 in that movie and the actor Lloyd Noland talks about the plane in that scene. While there they were doing test flights with the Bell X-1 and X-2 and all of the test pilots were always coming over to check ou the RB66. They all said it was a great bird. From what I know the RB66 didn't get a whole lot of service but it got some good time in Viet Nam in the 60's. It's still one of my favorite airplanes. My dad retired from McDonnell Douglas after 37 years of service and passed away in 1992 still raving about the RB66. Building a scale flying model of one is on my bucket list.

Doug de Ronde, e-mail, 24.08.2012 06:52

I was asst c/c with Johnny Connors on EB-66E 54-536 at Spangdahlem AB (69-72).I worked mids and did the pre-flight ck the day she went in at the end of the run way ON 9 SEPT 1969. Lt. Col. Esppe was the only survivor. Charlie Lynn sent her out that morning and came to the NCO club to let me know what happened.

Roy Herman, e-mail, 03.07.2012 21:11

Reference Will Koenitzer 6/12/2010 regarding the refueling hose not detached to the B-66. I was a radar navigation repairman at Takhli and helped repair the aircraft. When it landed the hose was still attached and had slapped the nose of the aircraft so bad that the nose of the aircraft had to be replaced. The aircraft's nose contained heavy radar equipment and the equipment had busted loose and was hanging by its electrical wiring. When the nose was replaced I had to level the gyro that kept the radar antenna level during flight. As I remember I had to place many washers under the Gyro to get it level which meant the nose was quite out of aline. I always wondered how the aircraft flew with that crooked nose but never was able to talk to anyone piloting that particular aircraft.

Perry Walek, e-mail, 26.06.2012 18:21

We lived at Shaw AFB from 1958 to 1965 my father was Capt Michael Walek he was a weather officer on a WB66. he retired as a Major and moved to California.

Tony Wilson, e-mail, 16.06.2012 20:14

My dad, Richard "Dick" Wilson flew the 66 and I think amassed more time in it than any other pilot, including the A3. He loved that plane. We have photos of him receiving "attaboys" from Douglas every time he got another 500 or 1000 hours. One of the photos was titled "Mr. B-66". I owe a special thanks to Douglas for getting him home from numerous SNAFU's and not so friendly situations in several parts of the world. Shaw has a beautiful RB-66 on display at the front gate that I go by and visit often.

Ronald Holland, e-mail, 10.06.2012 22:34

I was at shaw,AFB,SC were I worked on this acft as an assistant Crew chief from 63 to 65 .We had the RB's.Those engines were something else.we were winding down and getting ready to receive RF4c's to replace the RB'S .I hated to see her go,she was a great plane.

Jack McCoy, e-mail, 05.06.2012 18:53

I was a navigator-bombardier on the WB-66D at Shaw AFB, SC from May 1957 to May 1959. I was in the 9th TRS during the period and I was in the Weather Flight. Our Squadron also had the ECM B-66C models. Our flight was heavy into inflight refueling and flew non-stop from San Bernadino, CA to the Philippines. We participated in the Lebanon Crisis of 1958 at Incirlik AB, Turkey and flew each morning over Beruit, Lebanon at 3,000 feet as a show of force during the crisis. We flew non-stop from Shaw to Lyon, France by hitting two tankers enroute. We were gone 6 weeks and I missed my wedding to a lovely Sumter girl in 8/57. We also spent a lot of time at Kindley AFB, Burmuda scouting out inflight refueling areas for hiflights of F-100s going from Myrtle Beach AFB, SC to Europe. What a great bird and what great adventures!

Pete Cuipenski, e-mail, 28.05.2012 09:17

My first dealings with the 66's was at Toul Rosiere AB,France.May 1964-Feb 1966.While at Toul,we were transfered to Chambley AB,short distance away.Feb.66 Chas.DeGaulle gave all the U.S. miltary a eviction notice,and we parted with the armpit of the world.Most of us ended up being reasigned to Takhli AB,Thailand.Somehow i ended up in the U.S.Coast Guard aviation program and retired after 28 years.

Andrew Bradford, e-mail, 09.05.2012 07:33

I was stationed at Edwards AFB field 9 when we received the first B-66s. I worked on the K-5 Radar Bomb-Nav system. Then we were transfered to Alconbury RAF station then transfered to Sculthorpe RAF we were on the leading edge all was based on analog technology way before digital. What an experiance and a great aircraft.

Edwin F. Johnson, e-mail, 05.04.2012 18:30

I was a crew chief and flight engineer at RAF Alconbury from 1960-1964. Great airplane, a little under powered but reliable. Best assignment of my career. Ended with the C141 as flight engineer.

Bill Stricker, e-mail, 03.03.2012 22:21

I was a flight engineer in the 19TRS stationed at Toul-Rosieres AB, France and Chambley AB, France flying on the RB-66B from June, 1964 to June 1966. There was an earlier mention of one of the RB-66's being shot down on March 10, 1964. I remember this well since it was the same day that I received my orders to go to Toul. Capt. Holland was still there, but the two navigators were not. I met the squadron commander on his last day on the job there, before moving on. I am enjoying retirement as a docent at the Aerospace Museum of California at McClellen Park.

VIC MAYER, e-mail, 22.01.2012 23:49

Flew the C-model as ECM observer, 1957-1958; The B & D-models, 1958-FEB. 1960 as a navigator with The 10th TACRECON WG. Spangdahliem Germany and Bruntingthorpe England. After a 10 year tour in SAC (KC-97, B-47E, B-58) Returned to the C & E-models at Shaw. Jan-Mar 1970, then off to Thailand for 112 Combat Missions. I flew over 1100 hours in the bird, Total of 199 Top Secret ECH recce missions in Europe and Southeast Asia. Great airplane small engines.

Jim, e-mail, 13.10.2011 03:37

I was with the B-66's at Korat and at Clark during the 'PIN 6000' deployment to scrap the 66's Oct 73-April 74.

John L. DeJulio, e-mail, 11.10.2011 21:09

I crewed ar RAF Bruntingthorpe from 1960-1962, B66 serial # 442. I loved this plane ,the best airplane I worked on in 25yrs of service. Then did quality control. Went to Toul Rosieres AB France from 19662-1965. I'm looking for a model of the B66,resonable price,anyone have info where to get would be greatfully appreciated.

Bruce T Clark, e-mail, 04.07.2011 19:58

I was an instrument tech on the B66B at RAF Station sculthorpe England fron 58 to 62 then went to shaw and worked the RB and EB66 with the 4411th test sqd. I know she looked like a pig on the ground but I also know the flight crews loved to fly her

gregg feagans, e-mail, 28.06.2011 07:06

I worked on the Navy version as a fire control technician on the navigation and bomb director systems during two tours to Viet Nam, 1964-66. Heavy Attack Squadron Ten (VAH-10 Vikings) On my second tour flew combat missions in the third seat as air based trouble shooter. We had great pilots and crew our primary mission was in-flight refueling and pathfinders to targets and back to the carrier. No ejection seats in our version. State side we were based in Washington State at Widbey Island. Very old aircraft when I was flying as a crewman but solid as a rock with the technology on board and ability to switch from a bomber to a tanker. We saved lots of fighters that were shot up and got them home to the carrier.

Bill Golden, e-mail, 23.05.2011 16:27

I worked on the B-66 from 1964 to 1967. First in Toul Rosierre in France, then we moved to Chambley AB and shortly after that we took the aircraft to Takhli RTAFB.
Before leaving for Thailand we went to Spain and the crews practiced air refueling because the aircraft had a hard time keepping up with the KC-135.

Stanley R. Hunter, e-mail, 12.05.2011 08:08

CC on 66's at Shaw 68/70 with a TDY in Japan. Last assignment Ubon RTAFB 70/71 on F-4s

Donald J. Meyer, e-mail, 27.04.2011 17:22

I worked on the B and RB-66 at Douglas in the 50's. This was one of the first aircraft to exhibit sonic fatigue after several hours of flight. It occurred in the interior beaded skin of some of the control surfaces. We developed a process for polyurethane foam filling of the beads to dampen the vibration.

Jack Rookaird, e-mail, 12.04.2011 07:17

RE: RB-66 nose gear. Don't think gear same as A3D. Was Hydraulics (AFSC 42152) RAF Alconbury in 10 th CAMS on RB-66's Jan 61 - Nov 63. Also with 10TRW fairweather detachment in Morroco same time frame.

Jack Rookaird, e-mail, 12.04.2011 07:16

John Ohler, e-mail, 15.03.2011 18:58

I'm working as a volunteer at Prairie Aviation Museum in Bloomington IL I'm helping a group try to find a nose wheel for a RB-66 that has a crack and unable to repair. Does anyone have a clue where we could find a wheel for thsi aircraft or will a nose wheel work from a A-3D. Thanks

ROBERT A RODRIGUES, e-mail, 01.03.2011 04:18

I FIRST CAME ACROSS THE RB66 AT SHAW AFTER TECH SCHOOL IN 1966 WAS AJET MECHANIC ON THEM IN THAILAND FROM 1967 TO 1968 TAKLI AFB
THE J71 ENG WAS AGOOD ENG TO WORK ON OLD YES BUT WE STILL KEEP THEM IN THE AIR LOOKING FOR SOME JET MECHANIC THAT WAS STATION THERE

Cleo Labertew, e-mail, 27.02.2011 03:13

I was a jet engine mechanic on the J71 in the EB66 at Spangdalhm Air Base near Bitburg Germany In 1969-70.We did lose one that crashed on takeoff when the leading wing flap failed. All but the Navigator died.

John Lingrel, e-mail, 05.02.2011 12:44

I worked on the EB66 at Spangdahlem, Germany from 1969 to 1973. Terrific airplane to look at, but as I remember, is really loud. We flew a lot of electronic recon with the C models. I have many fond memories of the aircraft and the people I worked with there

Charles Simonson, e-mail, 19.01.2011 18:48

I remember when the 1st RB66 taxied into the ramp at 19th TRF area Summer of 1955. I was Chief Clerk of the 43rd TRF Sq. next door. We had old RB26's and T33s. I was about to be released from Active Duty and when I saw that RB66 come in, I thought Wow, do I wanna get out or re-up. I think 19th Sq also had RB57s at that time. One of the RB57s is now at Nat'l Warplane Museum near Elmira, NY. Still rememberf my AF days in Germany and South Carlolina. My e-mail is my old Laundry Mark so I'd always remember it.

BOB DECK, e-mail, 04.01.2011 05:38

mechanic on B-57,s56 to early60s then RB-66 to march 17th 61, at shaw a.b. i beleave was the 4416 recon.my last ride was in the RB-66 .we had an english instructer trying to teach an ex 102 pilot to land, we hit the left wing tip on the landing,i think it scared the crap out af all of us,was a good looking a/c

Frank, e-mail, 11.12.2010 17:31

I was an Egress Systems Repairman at Shaw 1969-1972

Will Koenitzer, e-mail, 06.12.2010 00:35

Perhaps Iíve waited too long to locate and thank the RB-66 crew who saved my hide sometime late in 1965. Target: SAMs located at the Haiphong Harbor shoreline near the Red River. Refueling: N. of DMZ over Gulf of Tonkin. Situation: Tanker flying north between two decks of strata form; heavy turbulence; 66 to refuel first; four Thuds from Takhli on tanker left wing; I flew wing in flight of four from Korat on tanker right wing; I was awakened to fly at 0400 after conducting foot-races on the bar until after 0200; I wasnít scheduled to fly that day, but selection was made based on rocket scores (being hung-over wasnít considered); the 66 engaged the refueling basket, and due to severe turbulence, the hose attached to the basket (9 feet long) broke off at the connection at the boom; the 66 returned to home plate; the mission to the SAMs was cancelled; and I ceased to perform all bar acts.

Doug Noland, MSgt Retired, e-mail, 17.11.2010 09:37

Worked on? B-66B/C & EB-66B/C/D Shaw AFB, SC last half of 1965, Takhli RTAFB, Thailand all of 1966 to include a one month TDY to Clarke AB, PI to perform periotic maintenance before Takhli had hangers, Shaw 67/AUG68, Worked in periotic maintenance, Takhli Aug68/Nov69 as CrewChief. I reinlisted July 03, 1969 at Takhli with 20+Airmen at the same time. I believe at the time it set a record for total number to do so at the same time. The First, First Sargent of the Air Force, CMsgt Paul Airay? was our guest. A photo of him and I shaking hands was taken. I also have one of him with his autograph.(I could verify the spelling). Then Okinawa AB in Maintenance Control(Job Contol)over all the Aircraft on the Base from Nov 1969/May 1971. I went to the B-66 Reunion in Colorado in 2008 and played on the winning team in the golf tournament at the Air Force Academy.

FRANK, e-mail, 12.11.2010 04:18

Spent '69-'71 at Shaw on EB/RB/WB-66's, went TDY to Korat in '70 and PCS'd in Dec '72-Dec-73 to Korat RTAFB. Great jet to work on. Loved flying in it. Even got to fly it over the Pacific.

George W Pruett, e-mail, 10.11.2010 04:41

George Wayne Pruett, hunter1944@embarqmail.com, 22.03.2010
I was CC of RB-66-B,tail # 54-0541 that was shot down over East Germany by a Mig-19.The aircraft was piloted by Capt David I. Holland,Nav. Capt. Melvin J. Kessler,and 2nd Lt. Harold Welch who was on a check ride being evaluated by Capt Kessler.All ejected and were returned to Toul-Rosieres after a month in captivity.This was a major cold war incident that caused quite a few re-assignments by senior officers in the 19th TRS and wing headquarters.Anyone remember?

Wm ( BIll ) Granstrom, e-mail, 18.10.2010 18:52

I arrived at Sculthorpe AFB England in 1957, as the 19th TRS was converting from the RB-57s to the RB-66B. They showed us some tech manuals. We worked a few weeks with the T/sgt crew chief's who were rotating. Then, still an A/3C, I was a crew cheif, until I rotated in 1960. I am still close friends with a few of my 19th TRS buddies. We meet a couple of times a year somewhere. Last year it was Seattle, near where I live, near Portland Ore. This spring, it is going to be Branson Mo. Any old 19 th TRS wrenchers who would like to join us are welcome.

John Dunn, e-mail, 18.10.2010 03:37

I was in the Hydraulic shop at Spangdahlem from 68 till 71 and worked on the 66s. We got most of the planes from the bone yard and had LOTS of leaks the first year. Not a bad plane to work on.

John Carlson, e-mail, 17.10.2010 23:46

Whilst at Edwards, I was the project pilot on the B-66. I did get to fly all three models, but most of my time was in the bomber version. All three AF versions differed from that of the Navy. My understanding was that the J-57 was in such short supply, due to its use in fighters and bombers, that Douglas was forced to use the J-71. No matter, the airplane flew well at low altitude - not so good at any altitude above sea level. 'Course the airplane was designed that way due to the change in incidence angle. When flown at altitude, the poor thing sufferd. Down low, it was great. Could not go very far low, but was very comfy.

Denny Whalen, e-mail, 07.10.2010 21:45

Worked on the camera systems at Shaw '62-66; help strip the equipment of of them in '64 when they were to be mothballed--reinstalled gear in 65 when some were returned to be readied for VN. Got to fly in the gunner seat a couple of times--noisy, but nice. Everything was so easy to work on. 4416 Test Sqdn kept two for test platforms.

John Lucero, e-mail, 05.10.2010 01:23

I was a jet engine meghanic and was assigned to JetCal, where we calibrated the engines on the B-66, at RAF Station, Sculthorpe in England from 59 to 62. I ran into a couple of crew chiefs in Las Vegas, Del Yada and Richard Little. I'd like to find Kenneth Poor, Ronald Kichline, who also worked at JetCal, if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.

Michael J. Dunn, e-mail, 02.10.2010 16:58

I worked on the 66's Nov. 1966 to Nov. 1967 355th TFW (FMS) Takhli Thailand. Phase Docks..

SoCalSooner, e-mail, 19.09.2010 19:06

I was an Electronics Tech at Miramar NAS in 61 and 62 assigned to VCP-63, Naval Photo reconnaissance 63. We had 5 A3D-1P photo reconnaissance aircraft.

An AF B-66 came in and we had to do some work on it, I don't remember what is was, but I was suprised at how different the copit layout was.

In the Navy version, the pilot and photographer sat next to each other and the rear gun operator sat back to back with the pilot.

I also thought that the plane had J-57 engines, the same engine out F8U-2P Cursaders had. Maybe I was mistaken.

Bill Schneider, e-mail, 15.09.2010 00:24

I started wrenching on a RB-66 at Korat in 1973. Was on a 6 month TDY FROM Shaw to ready about 2 of them that were in storage there to go to Davis Moffit. Great ariplane to work on, everything was zues fasteners, your could take the whole airplane apart with a snoopy wrench !!!
Wnet on to be a triple 7 captain, all because of the 66. My thanks to it's influence.

jerry wickstrum, e-mail, 13.09.2010 22:53

Worked on the RB66 at Sculthorpe,England 1957-1961 in 47th Periodic Maint. Sq. I always considered it a very beautiful A/C

tony wells, e-mail, 24.08.2010 01:34

i was a crew chief on b 66 B Toul Rosierre france 62 to 65

David Moore, e-mail, 06.07.2010 16:30

Was at Shaw Air Force Base '57-'58. Did radio repair on the B-66. Loved the bird then and still do today. Since I was on ground crew I never had the chance to fly in the aircraft. My loss. I was shipped out in '58 and reassigned and retrained. A fellow airman who took my place got the chance to fly in the B-66 overseas. His gain. So in goes in the service. You win some and lose some! Thanks to all you guys who cared for and flew the great one - the B-66.

JOHN BARTLETT, e-mail, 15.06.2010 02:42

I CAME ACROSS A WEBSITE WITH PICTURES OF THE EB-66 BEING SCRAPPED AT CLARK. I DID NOT SAVE THE SITE AND NOE I CAN'T FIND IT CAN YOU HELP

George Wayne Pruett, e-mail, 22.03.2010 03:58

Jack Williams, e-mail, 08.03.2010 02:18

Hello Steve, my name is Jack Williams. I was stationed at RAF Bruntingthorpe on December 14, 1959 when a RB-66 crashed on approach returning to base. Is that when your father was lost?

Ron Haskell, e-mail, 04.03.2010 05:42

I crewed EB66E's & C's from 1971 till they went to the bone yard. I was stationed at Shaw AFB & Korat AFB. Best aircraft I ever worked on. We had the best ground crews and air crews as well.

Ken Hintz, e-mail, 19.02.2010 04:18

I was C/C or asst. cc as had to be a 7 level to have name on forms, But everyone knew who the C/C was at Takhli in 69/70 I crewed the first one that flew and came back with an OR flight
It took my hearing. Was not found of the aircraft but it always came back with crew in good shape
Ken Hintz

Pete Cuipenski, e-mail, 19.02.2010 03:06

Crew Chief from 63-67.Assigned to Toul Rosierre in France,and a year at Takhli.The 66 is the reason for me wearing hearing aids today. Pete Cuipenski

Wayne Stallard, e-mail, 18.02.2010 02:28

I worked on the radar systems from 1957-1960 in Spangdalam Germany before DeGalle kicked the 100's out and we took up 3 bases in England. I also help pick up pieces of the crew that did not make it back to the base (about 59. Never want to see or do that ever again. Also had a TDY to Tripoli and Spain.

AL, 29.01.2010 03:40

We had four EB or RB-66's at Macdill early in 1963. Great looking Bomber.
AL

Bobby Sullivan, e-mail, 05.01.2010 03:45

Steve,
Where did your dad have that B-66 crash? I witnessed a crash of a B-66 at Evreux Air Base, France but I don't remember exactly when. I was there from August 1956 to August 1960. The pilot had lost one engine, made a very long pattern, then was unable to make it to the runway. He put it down in a ploughed field and, seeing a major highway between him and the base, nosed it over to stop short of the highway. Banged his head but walked away.

Tony Weissgarber, e-mail, 04.01.2010 17:29

The RB-66 was underpowered, resulting in long takeoff rolls. It either had to be lightened or the engine thrust increased.

Golda Eldridge, e-mail, 10.12.2009 20:55

I flew 115 combat missions in the 66. It was the 2nd most challenging bird I flew, but still a lot of fun. Once off the ground she would get up and go especially at low level.

George J Ross, e-mail, 25.10.2009 02:32

Flew 52 combat missions Vietnam. 66-67 b-66. Brought us back every time.

Steve, e-mail, 21.08.2009 08:59

My dad was a pilot of a b-66,and he crashed in DEC 1959.any comments about flying this bird would be interesting...

Al Palmer, e-mail, 02.06.2008 21:28

This was a solid platform for ECM work and was a workhorse in Vietnam. I flew 100 missions over Vietnam from Takhli Royal Thai AFB in three models. Sadly, only a couple survive in museums.

Dutch Holland, e-mail, 29.05.2008 05:12

I was a crew chief/flight chief on the RB-66C in Germany 1957; Ec-66C/WB-66C at Shaw AFB,SC 1958,59,60; B-66B RAF Sculthorpe, Eng 1960-61; RB/B-66C Clarke AFB,PI 1965-66. The A/C was under powered, however the flt crews learned how stable a weapons delivery platform the acft was.

Ron Hagler, e-mail, 23.05.2008 23:36

I flew this aircraft on 126 combat missions in Viet Nam. Although underpowered, it was the most stable aircraft I have flown in IFR conditions.

Ron Hagler