A flying version of the Bo.102, this was a larger single-seat version. Powered by an Agusta GA V, four-cylinder, double-piston engine, it first flew on 14 September 1961. The helicopter still used the Boelkow single, counterbalanced fibreglass rotor blade. It proved to be very stable, even allowing the test pilot, Werner Kurze, to perform several seconds of 'hands-off flight. Although never reaching the production phase, the Bo.102 and Bo.103 were important in the early development of the rigid rotor and composite blades used today.
P.Allen "The Helicopter", 1996
Single-seat helicopter built in 1959 with a simple steel tube fuselage, a cockpit with transparent canopy open at the sides and a two-blade reinforced fiberglass rotor.
G.Apostolo "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Helicopters", 1984