Entwicklungsring Süd GmbH was formed of a Bölkow,
Heinkel, and Messerschmitt design consortium on February 23,1959
at the suggestion of the Federal German
Defense Ministry, to develop a
Mach 2 VTOL intercepter.
By May 1963 70 flights had been made with VJ 101C
research aircraft, which had tilting jet-pods at wingtips.
Studies were made for an entirely different VJ 101D fighter.
Heinkel withdrew in late 1964, and in July 1965 EWR
changed from a consortium into a limited company. There
was later an unsuccessful partnership with Fairchild Hiller.