Dewoitine D 15
|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / Dewoitine|
The sole single-seat fighter of biplane configuration to be built by Emile Dewoitine, the D 15 was proposed as a simpler and more economic (from the structural viewpoint) fighter than the contemporary D 9, D 12 and D 19 monoplanes. Powered by a 450hp Hispano-Suiza 12Ha (HS 51) 12-cylinder liquid-cooled Vee engine, the D 15 had fabric-covered metal wings with ailerons on the upper wing only, the metal fuselage being of steel longeron and duralumin tube cross-member construction with fabric-covered sides and light metal upper and lower decking. Armament comprised two fuselage- mounted 7.7mm Vickers guns and two 7.5mm Darne guns mounted on the upper wing centre section. Flown on 13 August 1924, the D 15 displayed inadequate longitudinal and lateral stability, and, after modification, proved to possess a markedly inferior performance to the lower-powered D 19 monoplane during CEPA (Commission des Essais Pratiques de l'Aviation) testing at Villacoublay during the autumn of 1924. In consequence, it was not submitted for STAe evaluation of 1923 C1 programme contenders held in 1925-26.