|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / Hanriot|
Designed to compete in the 1921 CI (single-seat fighter) programme, the H.26 was the only participant powered by the 260hp Salmson 9Z nine-cylinder radial engine. Most other contenders were intended for the water-cooled inline HS 8F. The H.26 design attempted to compensate for lower installed power by means of aerodynamic cleanliness. It was a sesquiplane of all-metal construction with metal skinning on the wing leading edges and forward fuselage, the remainder being fabric covered. The H.26 employed thick aerofoil sections, the upper wing being faired into the oval-section fuselage, and it had a close-cowled engine with a large propeller spinner. First flown at Orly in 1923, the H.26 utilised a Botali radiator arranged in a semi-circle behind the engine. As this was found to provide insufficient cooling, two Chausson radiators were attached to the undercarriage strutting. The H.26 displayed poor handling qualities, which, coupled with continued engine overheating and an inadequate view offered the pilot, led to the abandonment of further development after several test flights.