|RESEARCH AIRCRAFT||Virtual Aircraft Museum / Germany / Horten|
The Ho V, constructed between 1936 and 1938, was a two-seater sailplane, but in 1942 it was converted to single-seat configuration. A second Ho V made much use of plastic in its construction. From the outset, the Ho V was designed as a powered research aircraft. Its wing had pronounced sweepback on the outer panels, but the centre section had greatly reduced sweep on the leading edge and a straight, unswept trailing edge. The centre section had a welded steel tube structure to support two 60kW Hirth engines, driving pusher propellers through extension shafts. In a bid to acquire more funds, the Hortens proposed a glider-tug version of the Ho V, but this was not taken up.