Tupolev ANT-10 / R-7
|RECONNAISSANCE||Virtual Aircraft Museum / USSR / Russia / Tupolev|
Under the military designation R-7, a single ANT-10 was built as a possible alternative to Polikarpov's R-5, which first flew in 1928 and went on to have a production run of 4,995 in the 1930s.
Tupolev's project was an all-metal sesquiplane. The shortage of metal was one of the factors which worked in favour of the simple wooden airframe chosen by Polikarpov. For both aircraft the BMW-VI engine was specified, due to its planned Soviet production as the Mikulin M-17.
TsAGI began design work on the R-7 in 1928, when the R-5 was already flying. Its first flight was made on 30 January 1930, flown by Mikhail Gromov. As it was not appreciably better than the R-5, the programme was discontinued six months later.