Tupolev ANT-7 / R-6
|RECON, PASSENGER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / USSR / Russia / Tupolev|
The Tupolev ANT-7 prototype was a scaled-down version of the ANT-4. First flown on 11 September 1929, it was powered by two 544kW BMW VI engines. Production began in summer 1930 as the multi-purpose R-6 for the air force, with a total of 435 built by June 1934. The KR-6 version was a long-range reconnaissance aircraft with increased fuel capacity and no bombload, and the MR-6 was a naval floatplane variant. Many late production aircraft were delivered for civil use under the designation PS-7 or P-6; modifications were minimal, including a strengthened freight floor and elimination of gunners' positions. The MP-6 was the civil floatplane version, and many P-/MP-6s and PS-7s had enclosed cockpits for Arctic use. The specially built R-6L was a one-off 'limousine' version incorporating a nine-passenger cabin.