Tupolev ANT-9 / PS-9
|PASSENGER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / USSR / Russia / Tupolev|
The prototype of the Tupolev ANT-9 high-wing monoplane transport made its first flight in May 1929. Of all-metal construction with corrugated alloy skinning, it had enclosed accommodation for two pilots and nine passengers. Its three 172kW Gnome-Rhone Titan radials were replaced in series machines by domestic M-26s, which proved to be underpowered and were in turn replaced by imported Wright Whirlwinds of 224kW each. After the first batch of some 12 aircraft the design was revised to twin-engined configuration, with two 507kW M-17 engines raising maximum speed from 205km/h to 215km/h; this version was known usually as the PS-9, and about 70 were built. The ANT-9 prototype, registered URSS-309, made a tour of European cities in the summer of 1929, and the three-engined ANT-9s served with the Soviet-German airline Deruluft on the Moscow-Berlin service. Some were also operated by the VVS as troop or VIP transports. The PS-9 was flown widely on passenger services, the most famous being the propaganda aircraft Krokodil, with a suitably decorated plywood nose complete with a set of sharp teeth.