|SEAPLANE||Virtual Aircraft Museum / USSR / Russia / Sikorsky|
In mid-summer 1912, the Russian Imperial Navy ordered the first of a series of seaplanes from the RBVZ. To reduce the workload during preparations for the important army competitions, the numerically out-of-sequence S-5A was based on Sikorsky's S-6A, with a slightly smaller airframe, slender plywood-covered fuselage, twin floats and a 60hp Gnome engine. Underpowered, it was not accepted by the navy. In about March 1913, it was followed by this improved S-5A with a single main float, wing-tip stabilizing floats and an 80hp Gnome. The navy approved it for maritime reconnaissance, and sent it to its base at Revel in September 1914, after the outbreak of war.