Curtiss P-5 Superhawk
|Virtual Aircraft Museum / USA / Curtiss|
A USAAC contract placed on 14 May 1927 called for five aircraft with airframes essentially similar to that of the P-1, but powered by a turbo-supercharged Curtiss V-1150-4 12-cylinder water-cooled engine. The first of these was delivered in January 1928 as the XP-5, with the remaining four following as P-5s by June 1928. Dubbed Superhawk by the manufacturer, the P-5 had a side-mounted exhaust-driven turbo-supercharger with which it attained a service ceiling of 9450m. Warm air was ducted from the exhaust manifold to the cockpit, the heat being contained by a "cape" which snapped around the cockpit rim and fitted closely about the pilot. Two of the P-5s were lost in accidents shortly after delivery, but the remaining two served with the 94th Pursuit Squadron until April 1932. The V-1150-4 (D-12F) engine was rated at 435hp and armament comprised two 7.62mm machine guns.