Blohm und Voss was a famous shipbuilding concern,
based on the Elbe at
Hamburg. Its aircraft division, Hamburger
Flugzeugbau GmbH, turned to construction
of maritime aircraft in the early 1930s. In 1937 Hamburger
Flugzeugbau adopted the title of the parent company.
Successful designs of Dr
Ing Richard Vogt initiated
under the Ha designation continued in production becoming
designated, for example, Bv 138 instead of Ha 138.
True Blohm und Voss developments included the Bv 222
largest flying boat to attain operational status
in the Second World War, and the even larger Bv 238,
evolved too late to enter production before the war's end.
The only prototype Bv 238 was destroyed by air attack
four days before VE-day.