Developed from the Avro 500 as a seaplane, the one and only Avro 501 first flew in January 1913 undergoing trials on Windermere. Later it was developed into the Avro 503. The 501 was converted to a wheeled undercarriage and purchased by the R.N.A.S. (see photo) and was used by them at the Royal Naval Air Station at Eastchurch.
Avro 501 Sea plane
Crew plus one passenger or observer
Power plant 1 x 100 h.p. Gnome Omega Omega 14 cylinder twin row rotary engine.
Span 47'6" Length 33'0" Height 12'6" Wing area 476 sq ft
Empty weight 1,470 lb Gross weight 2,700 lb
Max speed 55 mph