|FIGHTER||Virtual Aircraft Museum / France / Hanriot|
The first fighter to be produced by the Societe anonyme des Appareils d'Aviation Hanriot, the HD.1 was designed by Emile Dupont and was built in the summer of 1916. Powered by a 100hp Le Rhone rotary engine and carrying an armament of one synchronised 7.7mm Vickers machine gun (although a few aircraft were later to be fitted with two Vickers guns), the HD.1 was an extremely compact and agile single-seat fighter. Appearing later than the SPAD S.VII which was already in production, it was not ordered by France's Aviation militaire. It was adopted by Italy, however, and licence manufacture was undertaken by the Societa Nieuport Macchi which delivered 125 to the Aeronautica del Regio Esercito in 1917, 706 in 1918, and a further 70 after the Armistice. The HD.1 was also adopted by Belgium, to which country Hanriot supplied 79 fighters of this type from August 1917. The HD.1 continued in service in both Italy and Belgium into the mid-'twenties. In 1921, Switzerland purchased 16 from Italian war surplus stocks and retained these in service until 1930.