Basically, this was a KD-1B autogyro with a Jacobs engine in the nose, originally built in 1939 and converted by the addition of stub wings, each tip of which was to carry an engine.
Built on behalf of the United States Navy, it was designed as a flying test-bed for a partially loaded rotor system.
P.Lambermont "Helicopters and Autogyros of the World", 1958
* * *
Technical data for Kellett KH-17A
Number of seats: 1, engine: 1 x Jacobs rated 275hp and 2 x Lycoming rated 140hp, rotor diameter: 12.2m, gross weight: 1542kg