Founded in 1912 at Varese as Societa Anonima Nieuport-
Macchi, specialising in marine aircraft. During First World
War built L-1 license-manufactured Lohner L-40 flying-boats,
M-3 fighter and M-5 biplane flying-boat, developed
into M-7 which won 1921 Schneider Trophy, an achievement
repeated by M-39 in 1926. MC.72 floatplane set
world airspeed record of 709.19km/h onOctober
Pre-Second World War commercial flying-boats
included 12-seat MC.94 and 26-seat MC.100.
MC.200 Saetta fighters produced from 1937, developed
into MC.202 Falgore, and MC.205 Veltro. Post-war developments
included MB.308 two/three-seat cabin monoplane,
also built in Argentina by German Bianco SA,
MB.320 six-seat light twin and 150 M.416 license-built
Fokker S.11 trainers. Joint program with Fiat to build Vampire
FB.52As, followed by MB.326 jet trainer, first flown
December 10,1957 and later produced also in two-seat
and single-seat armed strike trainer forms. Lockheed of
U.S.A. acquired shareholding in Aermacchi in 1959.
Became known as Aermacchi in 1961.