Association between Heinrich Focke and Georg Wulf formalized
January 1,1924 with formation of Focke-Wulf
Flugzeugbau AG. at Bremen. Financial support followed
success of A 7 Storch two-seater, flown November 1921.
Fw 44 Stieglitz
September 29,1927 test-flying F-19 Ente
canard. In 1931 acquired license to build Cierva C.19 Mk
IV autogiro. Focke concentrated on rotary-wing activities,
fixed-wing design was entrusted to Kurt Tank, formerly of
BFW and of Rohrbach Metallflugzeug GmbH. Albatros
Flugzeugwerke GmbH, Berlin, amalgamated with Focke-
Wulf. On Focke's resignation to form Focke-Achgelis, Tank
Fw 189 "Uhu"
director. Reorganized June 1936 as
GmbH under control of AEG. Ceased operations 1945, reformed
1951 and combined with Weser Flugzeugbau to
form Vereinigte Flugzeugtechnische Werke.
First company design was A16 three/four-seat commercial
transport, followed by the eight/nine-seat A17,
the more powerful 650 hp BMW Vl-powered A 29 and
the three-crew/ten-passenger A 38 airliners. S
two-seat trainer won 1931 German Aerobatic Championship flown by Gerd Achgelis, who conducted maiden
flight of Fw 44 Stieglitz trainer late summer 1932, widely
used by embryo Luftwaffe and in European and South
American countries. First Tank design produced in any
numbers (approximately 1,000) was Fw 56 Stosser
fighter/dive-bomber advanced trainer,
Fw 200 "Condor"
followed in 1935
by Fw 58 Weihe communications aircraft/crew trainer
and in 1938 by Fw 189 reconnaissance aircraft. Fw 200
Condor airliner flown July 1937, developed into Fw 200C
long-range reconnaissance aircraft. With production total
of more than 19,000, Fw 190 fighter was the most
notable of Focke-Wulf's designs; after the first flight on
June 1,1939, entered squadron service August 1941.
High-altitude version, with revised high aspect ratio wing,
designated Ta 152.