Ilyushin IL-18 (I)
1946
Back to the Virtual Aircraft Museum
  PASSENGERVirtual Aircraft Museum / USSR / Russia / Ilyushin  

Ilyushin IL-18 (I)

There were two IL18s, the first one of them was a 66-seat passenger liner of the same class as Tu-70 powered by four radials. The first prototype flew on 17 August 1946. Abandoned in favour of Li-2, IL-12 and IL-14 already in production. The designation IL-18 was used again ten years later.


Specification 
 ENGINE4 x Shvetsov ASh-73, 2600hp
 WEIGHTS
    Take-off weight47500 kg104720 lb
    Empty weight28490 kg62810 lb
 DIMENSIONS
    Wingspan41.10 m135 ft 10 in
    Length29.86 m98 ft 12 in
    Wing area140 m21506.95 sq ft
 PERFORMANCE
    Max. speed565 km/h351 mph
    Range2800 km1740 miles

Comments
Andrés Erdös, 22.07.2015

The Il-18 was developed to meet Aeroflot's need for a high-altitude, long-range aircraft to fly its long-haul national and international routes. It was conceived as a cantilever low-wing monoplane powered by four Charomskii ACh-32 diesel engines, as initially used in the Ilyushin Il-12, with a tricycle landing gear. To improve the wing's lift-to-drag ratio and the aircraft's maximum speed the wing was given a very high aspect ratio of 12. It was intended to operate from both paved and unpaved runways with a length of less than 1,000 metres (3,300 ft). Its main wheels were larger than normal to handle the rough surfaces. The pressurized fuselage was circular in cross-section, which provided room for cargo and baggage compartments under the cabin floor. A variety of seating plans were under consideration, ranging from 66 seats to 27 sleeping berths, but no decision had been made before it was canceled.
Before the Il-18 had made its first flight its engines were changed to the 2,400 hp (1,800 kW) Shvetsov ASh-73TK radial piston engine because they were entering production, unlike the diesels. They drove four-blade AV-16NM-95 variable pitch propellers. Electro-thermal deicing boots were fitted on the leading edges of the wings, horizontal and vertical tail, drive by four engine-driven electric generators. A bleed air deicing system was fitted for the cockpit glazing and propeller blades.
The first flight of the Il-18 was made on 18 August 1946, in a sixty-passenger configuration, even though the turbosuperchargers for its engines hadn't been fitted. To save time Sergey Ilyushin gave the order to commence flights tests without them. But this proved to be in vain because the manufacturer's flight tests weren't concluded until 30 July 1947 as the turbo-superchargers were not delivered in a timely manner. Other problems were the short time between overhauls for the ASh-73TKs, initially only 25 hours, and the disintegration of one engine on 25 June 1947. Flight characteristics were docile and the passenger cabin proved to be far more comfortable than those of the Lisunov Li-2, the C-47 Skytrain or the Il-12. It had a comfortable margin of power that allowed it to continue to cruise if one or even two engines weren't running. Its engines were in short supply as they were needed to power the Tupolev Tu-4 and they weren't yet reliable enough for economical use so the aircraft was canceled.
The prototype was displayed at the 1947 air display at Tushino where it led a formation of Il-12 airliners. Later it was fitted with a towing shackle and used for the flight tests of the heavy Ilyushin Il-32 glider as it was one of the few aircraft available powerful enough to tow the glider. It was flown well into the early 1950s although its ultimate fate is unknown.

Andrés Erdös, 22.07.2015

The Il-18 was developed to meet Aeroflot's need for a high-altitude, long-range aircraft to fly its long-haul national and international routes. It was conceived as a cantilever low-wing monoplane powered by four Charomskii ACh-32 diesel engines, as initially used in the Ilyushin Il-12, with a tricycle landing gear. To improve the wing's lift-to-drag ratio and the aircraft's maximum speed the wing was given a very high aspect ratio of 12. It was intended to operate from both paved and unpaved runways with a length of less than 1,000 metres (3,300 ft). Its main wheels were larger than normal to handle the rough surfaces. The pressurized fuselage was circular in cross-section, which provided room for cargo and baggage compartments under the cabin floor. A variety of seating plans were under consideration, ranging from 66 seats to 27 sleeping berths, but no decision had been made before it was canceled.
Before the Il-18 had made its first flight its engines were changed to the 2,400 hp (1,800 kW) Shvetsov ASh-73TK radial piston engine because they were entering production, unlike the diesels. They drove four-blade AV-16NM-95 variable pitch propellers. Electro-thermal deicing boots were fitted on the leading edges of the wings, horizontal and vertical tail, drive by four engine-driven electric generators. A bleed air deicing system was fitted for the cockpit glazing and propeller blades.
The first flight of the Il-18 was made on 18 August 1946, in a sixty-passenger configuration, even though the turbosuperchargers for its engines hadn't been fitted. To save time Sergey Ilyushin gave the order to commence flights tests without them. But this proved to be in vain because the manufacturer's flight tests weren't concluded until 30 July 1947 as the turbo-superchargers were not delivered in a timely manner. Other problems were the short time between overhauls for the ASh-73TKs, initially only 25 hours, and the disintegration of one engine on 25 June 1947. Flight characteristics were docile and the passenger cabin proved to be far more comfortable than those of the Lisunov Li-2, the C-47 Skytrain or the Il-12. It had a comfortable margin of power that allowed it to continue to cruise if one or even two engines weren't running. Its engines were in short supply as they were needed to power the Tupolev Tu-4 and they weren't yet reliable enough for economical use so the aircraft was canceled.
The prototype was displayed at the 1947 air display at Tushino where it led a formation of Il-12 airliners. Later it was fitted with a towing shackle and used for the flight tests of the heavy Ilyushin Il-32 glider as it was one of the few aircraft available powerful enough to tow the glider. It was flown well into the early 1950s although its ultimate fate is unknown.

MAX, 23.01.2015

OUR COMPANY have in his fleet 2 il-18
ready for lease
please contact me at
AEROMAX
faiellamassimiliano@libero.it
+971508604828

deaftom, 27.02.2012

Actually related to the Boeing C-97. Here's how: the Soviets reverse-engineered a couple of Boeing B-29s that landed in Russian territory after suffering damage over Japan during World War II. At first, they built straight copies as the Tupolev Tu-4, but then proceeded to build upon the original design to create their own derivatives. Just as the B-29 begat the B-50 and C-97, so the Soviets developed their own bomber and transport variants, of which this was one.

bob, 12.11.2009

can it be armed with nukes

Leo Rudnicki, 20.05.2009

An un-bifurcated Boeing C-97.

Do you have any comments about this aircraft ?

Name    E-mail


COMPANY
PROFILE



All the World's Rotorcraft


Virtual Aircraft Museum


All rhe World's Rotorcraft AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com