SA Piaggio & Co, an engineering and shipbuilding company, produced some Caproni aircraft and parts during the First World War, but subsequently abandoned aircraft manufacture until it took over Pegna & Bonmartini in 1923. First product was the Piaggio-Pegna pursuit monoplane with Hispano-Suiza engine. Later was associated with Societa di Costruzioni Meccaniche Aeronautiche in license-construction of Domier Wal flying-boats. Built P.32 twin-engined heavy bomber at end of 1930s and several four-engined P.108 heavy bombers during Second World War.
Resumed aeronautical work in late 1946 with conversion of Dakotas for airline service. Built P.136 five-seat twin-engined amphibian, prototype flying in 1948, followed by a series of trainers for the Italian Air Force; the P.149 was also license-built by Focke-Wulf
The present Rinaldo Piaggio company was formed in February 1964 as a separate concern, but in 1994 was put under insolvency protection; 51 percent shareholding in the company was purchased by Tushav, a Turkish holding company, in mid-1998, and protection was thereafter lifted. P.180 Avanti twin-pusher turboprop business aircraft flown September 1986, but only 43 production aircraft ordered; turbofan derivative may be developed. Has manufactured components for Aeritalia/Alenia, AMX International, Dassault and Panavia.
All the World's Rotorcraft