CONSOUDATED AIRCRAFT CORPORATION
Original factory was quickly outgrown by the company formed May 29,1923 and moved to Buffalo, NY, in 1924, leasing part of a wartime Curtiss factory. In the 1920s and 1930s produced small numbers of civil types, but main output was military and between 1924-1932 included more than 770 PT-1 /311 and NY primary training biplanes for the USAAC and Navy, plus a small batch of similar 0- 17s for observation duties. Thomas Morse Aircraft acquired 1929. In the 1930s Consolidated specialized in marine aircraft, P2Y twin-engined patrol flying-boats being built 1931-1933; followed by P-30 single-seat fighter monoplanes for the Army
In autumn 1935 company moved to San Diego, California, gaining a harbor for testing its maritime designs, which continued with the P3Y/PBY Catalina family. During a ten-year production life 2,400 Catalinas were built by Consolidated and hundreds more by other companies. Production of PB2Y Coronados began in 1939. In 1940 Hall Aluminium Co acquired. Company began a five-year program of building more than 11,000 B-24/C- 87/PB4Y/RY Liberator and Privateer bomber, transport, and patrol aircraft for the U.S. Services and the RAF. Liberator production was also undertaken by Ford, Douglas, and North American. Final wartime product was the TBY Sea Wolf. A 34 percent controlling interest in Consolidated acquired December 1941 by Vultee Aircraft Inc., and management links from then led to merger of the two companies on March 17,1943 as Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation.
All the World's Rotorcraft
PT-1 / NY
Model 16 Commodore / XPY-1
P-30 / PB-2
TBU / Consolidated TBY Sea Wolf