Formed 1911 at Puteaux, Seine, by brothers Robert and
Morane with Raymond Saulnier, as Aeroplanes
Morane-Saulnier. Acquired by Potez Group in 1963 and
became Societe d'Exploitation Etablissements Morane-
Saulnier, reorganized as Gerance des Etablissements
Morane-SaulnierMay 20,1965, subsidiary of Sud Aviation. Developed
series of parasol-winged fighters and
training aircraft, beginning with 1913 Type L or MS.3; principal
production aircraft throughout 1920s and 1930s
included MS.130, MS.230, and MS.315 two-seat trainers.
Series of single-seat monoplane
from 1935, including MS.406s built for French Air Force
up to Occupation; development of basic design continued
by Morane-Saulnier design bureau and derived MS.450
built by Dornier Werke AG in
Switzerland as D-3802A. Also
built Fieseler Storch for Germans as MS.500 Criquet. After
liberation developed MS.470 series of advanced trainers,
several light aircraft and then MS.733 Alcyon basic trainer.
MS.760 Paris introduced into French Air Force service in
1958. MS.880 Rallye touring aircraft first flown June
10,1959; see SOCATA.